Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Better Together" 3 Years and Counting

This is us.  I mean, REALLY us.  We laugh at each other.  We joke and "play about" with each other.  We are both funny; I'm more giddy and witty while he is silly and goofy.  We are still crazy in love with each other, and we drive each other nuts at the same time.

With the whirlwind that has been our life since the day we got engaged, sometimes it is hard to recognize the 2 lovebirds in that picture.  We get caught up in the daily grind, like was that the last diaper and is there enough money in the bank for the bills?  We forget to give each other props when we used to over-compliment.  We take for granted the little things like the morning kiss goodbye and the night time kiss goodnight, and now a kiss is often an afterthought or a deliberate showing in front of our son during a family hug. 

Sure we are affectionate, but so often it is about being good parents to Jack and teaching him what marriage should be like, but with a toddler, rarely is there a lot of privacy.

And in 16 minutes it will be our 3 year anniversary.  The reality of it all is this:  we are no longer newlyweds.  The honeymoon phase is over, the real world has come on strong, and we have been facing challenges head-on and full throttle from the moment we started our life together...but that is just it...we are TOGETHER.

Our 1st dance and wedding theme song was "Better Together" by Jack Johnson.  At the time I thought it was a pretty original choice, until my DJ informed me otherwise, but it didn't matter.  We ARE better together.    We compliment each other perfectly; our clashing personalities spice things up while our synchronized hearts beat to the tune of the same drum. 

I had to pause just now between the start of this paragraph and the end of the last b/c our sweet little Jack-Bo awoke in quite a tizzy, needing new jammies and some fresh milk.  Daddy brought him into our room and comforted him while I got the diaper and milk.  Then, as I began to change Jack, I noticed the clock said 12:05(am).  I looked at my husband and I said mid-diaper change, "Happy Anniversary."  He smiled and made a goofy face and said it back while I slightly rolled my eyes.  Then I got up to toss the old diaper and shut off some lights.  As I got back into bed I leaned over and kissed him.  It was a nice kiss, a real kiss, short and sweet, but meaningful, powerful, and loving.  Then I climbed into bed too and together, we cuddled our baby boy back to sleep. 

17 minutes later I am finishing this post, and Daddy is fast asleep in our bed with Jack.  I am about to call it a night and join them, and in the morning, as we celebrate our 3 year wedding anniversary, we'll enter our 4th year of marriage...together...and both better for it. 

(This post is dedicated to my loving husband.  I love you, Brett.  You are my hero and my soul mate!  Thank you for sharing your life with me!  Happy Anniversary!)

No comments:

Post a Comment