Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

It is not every day that I have a chance to use my lunch break for a blog post.  Today though, I am taking advantage of the quiet and diving into my head for a little bit of venting and updating to my readers.  So what's new in The McQ Zoo?  Well, Daddy got a job, we picked a school for Jack to start at in the fall, and the weight on Mama's shoulders is about 2 tons lighter b/c of both of those things!

Let's start with the most obvious stress relief: Daddy's new job.  After 2 years and 3.5 months, it is a wonderful thing for him to be working a full-time job with a steady, stable income.  It will take us awhile to get out of the woods that have overgrown during that time, but this is truly life-changing for us!  What parts of this new development excite me the most?  Well, I love that Brett will have a regular paycheck; that one trumps all the others of course, but there are lots of other aspects to mention as well, and some are things you wouldn't even think of without the last 2 years' experience.  For example, the comfort of a routine, knowing what the next day is going to bring from a productivity standpoint...I think about all the times we woke up and I asked my husband "what are you doing today?" to which he replied "I don't know yet."  How frustrating that has been for both of us!  And then there is the feeling that "we made it" through these hard times together, as a unit, and our love is still strong and powerful enough to battle any challenge life throws our way.  Oh, and to finally be rid of that cloud of guilt that casts a shadow of doubt on every purchase we made that wasn't deemed a necessity...how I always felt the need to justify every "just because" item I wanted to buy for my son or even myself!  Being able to relax at night instead of crunching numbers in my head over and over again while trying to figure out how much we needed for this or that.  Look, I know that this may not last forever.  I know that there is always a chance that the economy could continue to go downhill, that we could be back in this same boat in a blink of an eye.  I know that even this new found certainty is not certain at all, but man, it sure feels good to take a break!  And you know what?  We deserve it!  In a time when lots of people were throwing in the towel and moving on from their passion, my husband refused to give up on the industry he loves, and he persevered (with much support from loved ones) with the belief that things would cycle back around, at which point he would be right at the forefront, ready to take on his next professional adventure, knowing all the while that his continued relevant experience and growing knowledge base would benefit him in the job he has now.  I am so proud of my him...and us.

So the 2nd big deal is that Jack-Bo will be starting preschool in the fall!  Woohoo!  I found a school that I am really happy with, and although it was not my first choice, it has some bonuses that my first choice did not!  For starters, the location is perfect.  It is right on the way into town for my MIL to pick him up on her days with him, and it is close enough for me to take him in the mornings sometimes or go visit him during work hours if he has a special event I want to attend.  I love the curriculum and overall philosophy, and I know Jack-Bo loves the playground!  We played there for almost an hour after our tour!  I can't say for sure that we won't still try to get him in our first choice for when he is 3, but for the 2011/2012 school year, we have found a winner!  Whew!  I am thrilled to have that off my plate!

And even with the weight of MYworld lifted, my heart is still a little heavy.  I know the real world is a big scary place and lots of people I care about are struggling.  I know that there are so many out there who have it way worse than we will ever know.  I know people who have failing marriages, sick children and family members, people who are lonely and broken hearted.  I have friends whose financial hardships are spiraling out of control.  I am emotional about this b/c I tend to agonize over the "why" of it all when bad things happen to good people.  I am happy for the little victories in my own family, but I am still aching for those who are suffering.  All I can say is God works in mysterious ways, and I don't understand, but I do believe.



   

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finding a preschool! I hope it works out well. :)

    My husband was out of work for some time and I can identify with much of what you wrote in the first half of this post.

    ReplyDelete